Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Why I use a MacBookPro and OS X

As a young developer I loved Linux, compiled new kernels during evening sessions and struggled days to have the correct drivers for the graphic card and communication components of my notebook.

I grew older and decided to enjoy my evenings and weekends. And surely I would prefer to have no virus, trojan and other evils on my workstation. So I went to MacOS and Apple notebooks without regrets.

Gains

The major gains upon migrating to OS X are
  • No virus scanner is necessary, the speed-up during complex programming and development activities are tremendous,
  • No trouble when updating OS, updates are automatic and often no new start is required,
  • Unix Command Line and Tools are available in the console. Homebrew or MacPorts projects provide all known and less-known utilities and programs available under Linux,
  • Long Lived Notebook is still working and looking nice after five years of daily usage. The performance is more than adequate for software development with Java 8/9/10/11 stack and C++.

Daily Development

The tools I really enjoy and use on a daily basis for software development - mainly Java - are
  • IntelliJ IDEA IDE,
  • Atlassian Cloud applications - BitBucket, HipChat, CI pipeline -,
  • Homebrew as package manager for utilities,
  • Docker as container manager,
  • VirtualBox when I need a full-fledged virtual machine.

Daily Work

The tools I use to perform administrative work are
  • LibreOffice,
  • Google Business for team work in the cloud using collaborative tools,
  • Apple Mail Client with GPG plugin for PGP and S/MIME secure email,
  • A local Swiss product Banana for accounting and VAT reports for the federal government. I bought it as soon as the company stopped requesting higher prices for OS X than for the other platforms.
LibreOffice completely replaced Microsoft Office suite.  I stopped using OpenOffice after the strange behavior of Oracle with the product.

I never really regretted leaving Linux or Ubuntu behind me.


No comments:

Post a Comment